Summer is over and time has shifted from fun in the sun to school and football.I am ready for the football. I can't wait to get out in the stadium and root for the home team. Now of course, it would be nice if the temps would drop about 25 degrees. I truly am looking forward to fall this year. First, there is the fact that my little cousin has walked on at stAte, then there is the fact that Doug is taking a couple of trips that leaves me time to get some things done around the house before Christmas decorating happens. Then there is the fact that I am going on a weekend sabbatical. I am looking so forward to that weekend. I can't wait to hibernate with a couple of good magazines , a good book, my ipod and tunes and pray that the weather cooperates. I love cool weather and hope that it has dropped to the point the if I go outside I need a lightweight jacket. Oh, yeah, that would be wonderful.
One of the first signs of fall is the grasshoppers on the windows at work. When they start to gather, I know that football is right around the corner.
I know that when football starts the first few games will be so hot that we will sit in the stands and sweat. By the time the season is over, we will all be wrapped in coats, mittens, hats, blankets and hot chocolate in our hands. Now THAT is football weather. Brock is a freshman walk on and he probably won't see much action this year but I will be there to support him whatever he does.
This year I had a new experience. All my kiddos have long since past the days of first day of school. I really don't miss those days, either. The young lady next door at work has an embroidery shop. "Commercial Threads" has been next door for a few months. Lisa, the owner, is a sweetheart I have know for 15 or so years and I was so excited when she moved in. I never dreamed that I would be helping her with her back to school rush. It was so much fun. I honestly cannot wait til the Christmas rush. We work late at night. She runs the machines and I clean everything up when it comes of the machine. I love taking the strings off, cleaning up the projects and seeing how neat they come out. I could be able to look at backpacks, lunch bags and preschool blankies and proudly say,"hey, I worked on that"!
Along with the end of summer, I have finished most of my Christmas cards and have started planning my holiday get togethers. Each year we tend to add a party or two. We love to welcome people into our house.
I have to come up with new foods to serve and new ways to decorate the trees . I love parties and when people come to my house, I want them to feel at home. I don't want fussy to dos. I want you to feel welcome in blue jeans or your best holiday togs. Getting ready for those parties is what fall means to me. When fall hits the air, Christmas is just around the corner.
Grasshoppers and Merry Christmas to one and all,
Vera

1 comments:

tara said...

i've been talking to your middle son about taking a weekend sabbatical for myself. the idea of a big bed with endless time to sleep, read and knit almost makes me giddy.

Post a Comment